What is Mental Health?
Mental Health includes our social, emotional and physical well-being. It affects how we think, feel, act and react. Our work, relationships, social life has a major impact of it. It determines how we handle stress, handle difficult situations in life and keeps an optimistic approach. Mental health is very important. People usually don’t give importance to mental health as they give to physical health.
Major factors affecting our mental health could be:
- Bad Life experiences, trauma, abuse;
- Biological factors
- Lack of Work opportunities
Mental is health is integral to living a healthy and balanced life. It is important at every stage of life from childhood to adolescence to adulthood. Mental health has impact on:
- Educational out come
- Productivity at work
- Development of Positive personal relationships
- Crime rate
- Alcohol & drug abuse
How mental health affects your life?
A mental concern becomes a mental illness when ongoing signs and symptoms cause frequent stress and affect your ability to function. It can affect your daily life, work or relationships. Noticing the symptoms at early stage and treating them timely can lead to mental illness. It is very important to keep a check on early symptoms of mental health to get them treated as soon as possible.
Mental instability can cause and effect a person to get involved in activities such as excessive smoking, drinking, doing drugs, feeling helpless, yelling and fighting, loosing temper, harming yourself or others.
Physical health and mental health are directly related. A person who is mentally fit takes every situation with open heart. Emotionally fit and stable person always feels vibrant and truly alive and can easily manage any situation.
Nurturing your mental health can help to combat the mental health problem those are sometimes associated with chronical mental illness.
Benefits of good mental health:
Just like physical fitness helps to maintain our body strength, mental fitness helps to achieve and sustain good and happy lifestyle. We can maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating right, staying physically active, taking charge of your stress, managing stress. Being healthy emotionally and physically can promote productivity and effectiveness in activities like work, school. It helps to adapt to changes in life and cope with adversity. Small steps can make a huge difference in improving mental health. Things such as exercising, taking walks, listening to your favorite music, opening up to people around you, eating balanced diet, pursuing your hobby, take break when you want to, meditation and more can be quite helpful in improving one’s mental health.
Mental health can lead to severe illness such as depression, anxiety, low energy. People usually don’t feel like doing anything, feel lazy all the time. It can be difficult for them to push themselves to positive activities to divert their minds. Mentally disturbed person often feels detached to everything around. They don’t like to connect with people, don’t feel like going out, or do any activity.
HOW CAN WE AVOID MENTAL ILLNESS AT EARLY STAGE?
- Seeking help at an early stage. As soon as you feel something is wrong consult your psychiatrist or talk to your closed ones. Don’t let the things just sink in and build an emotional burden in you.
- Surround yourself with people who are good for your mental health. Don’t let toxic people rule your life. Its okay to disconnect with people you don’t feel comfortable with.
- Indulge yourself in activities which keep you involved and not let your energy to drain. Such activities may involve singing, dancing, painting, or any other hobby. You can also learn new skills and add them to your CV which can further help you build your career.
- Build your self esteem and stay confident. Don’t let people opinion affect your thoughts. Stay confident of who you are and how you want to be shown. Its okay if you’re different than others.
- Stay close to nature. Involve yourself in activities such as gardening. Nature brings peace to mind. It feels good to be disconnected from the social world for a while and stay close to nature.
HOW WE AS A SOCIETY CAN HELP MENTALLY AFFECTED PEOPLE?
- Try to be nice to them. Such people are very sensitive. Try not to use any such words which can hurt them. Try to be always kind and polite to them.
- Always help them if there’s a need. To be clear, if you feel there is something you can possibly do to help them always take step ahead and help them.
- Do not let go if you feel something is not right. If you feel anything, suspicious immediately contact for a professional help.
- Always keep a close check on them. you see such a person don’t ignore just stay close to them and keep a check on them if they are suffering with something major.
Considering today’s times, in this pandemic situation due to COVID-19 most of the people are suffering from anxiety, depression and other mental issues. Reason being they’re stuck at place for more than a year, their work is affected, many people have lost their jobs due recession, some have lost their loved ones and a lot. Staying at a place has led to social disconnect and people feel lonely and anxious all the time. COVID 19 has created a chaos among the population of the world and has created a lot of mess apart from this viral. People are dying of depression, anxiety. People are developing obsessive behavior with the pandemic norms. Example washing hands, keeping everything sanitized and maintain social distance.
As a person familiar with outdoor situations, understanding the mental stress and havoc created in outside world we can help people around us in any possible way we can. Being mentally unfit is not something to be ashamed of. We can treat it just like any other disease with right help at right time. Keep a positive outlook to everything around you. If something bothers you try to avoid it. Try to be socially active and involve yourself with family and friends. Build your strength and focus on your career opportunities and work hard towards them. You can keep yourself busy. It will keep you distracted and help you stay focused and be productive.
Noteworthy reads :